Sunday, March 10, 2013

We Recommend: Kingdom of Fear


'Kingdom of Fear - Loathsome Secrets of a Star-Crossed Child in the Final Days of the American Century' by Hunter S. Thompson. One would be hard pressed to come up with a better title for an autobiography for this Gonzo journalist. Functioning as a best-of for this writer's long career, this is the perfect Thompson book.

Here are some of our favorite excerpts:

'I have known a few magic moments like these - red dots on a sea-green map - and I treasure them. They are the high points of my life, my moments of total Function, when I felt like a snow leopard fighting for life on its own turf.'

'...but I like to think that I lived there in a style that honored the true spirit oft he place, that if the redwood beams and sliding glass walls and the bamboo stools in my Tiki bar could vote for president, that they would vote for me. Maybe not, but I feel pretty confident about this. Every once in a while you run across a place that was built for a certain spirit, and even the walls understand that it was meant to be used that way... My attorney called it "the best room in the world."'

'San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run… but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant...'

No comments:

Post a Comment